Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sparkplug

It’s misleading to suggest that all policemen were either big kind
sensitive hulks like Maloney or young bumbling aspirants like myself. Every
profession has its share of good and bad guys and the police force is no
different.
I met many colourful rogues who bucked the system but were still
tolerable to work with, but there were others who were simply mean no good
bastards. One such man in the later category was Sparkplug Jones. I don’t
know how he got the name; he was already a fixture on the Mounted Unit
when I started.
Will Rogers is quoted as saying, “I never met a man I didn’t like!” He
had not met Sparkplug.
I think he had been forced to join the Mounted Unit when he lost his
license after being convicted for drunken driving. That’s what I heard and
the story seemed consistent with my observations of his current behaviour.
There was more than one occasion when I was enlisted to help hoist him into
the loft to sleep one off when he was too drunk to drive home. Once, playing
the Good Samaritan, I bundled him into the back seat of my car and drove
him to his home only to have his distraught wife refuse to take him in. On
our return to the stable he sobered up just enough to curse me for getting him
into trouble with his wife.
I found his drinking and disgraceful behaviour deplorable but it was
the way he treated the horses that really bothered me. As the old saying
goes, “There’s something about the outside of a horse that tells you about
the inside of a man.”
Sparkplug was assigned Lancer, one of the kindest, most easygoing
creatures you could ask for. A child could ride the animal but Sparkplug
kept the poor beast in a constant state of stress and anxiety. He would ride
through the streets holding the reins too tightly and digging his oversized
spurs into the horse’s flanks. Lancer would have to dance on the spot to
accommodate Sparkplug’s conflicting commands. He liked the image of
himself on a prancing steed. After what should have been a quiet ride, the
horse would most often be returned to the stable dripping sweat and bleeding
around the mouth. If no one else was at the stable the horse would be put in
his stall still wet and neglected.
The horses had to have the hair on their manes and legs clipped
periodically and the job was the responsibility of the officer they were
assigned to. Lancer would stand quietly when officers other than Sparkplug
used the electric shears on him but he insisted on using a painful device
called a twitch clamped to his muzzle and sometimes his ears. Once when I
saw this happening I offered to clip the horse for him but he declined my
offer telling me to fuck off and mind my own business. Being the junior man
I complied with his request.
If everybody working at the station had been like him, working there
would have been unbearable. Thankfully they were not. I was finding out
that my initial impression of what the men working on the Unit had been
wrong and for the most part they were good hardworking guys and if
anything, slightly more sensitive than your average cop.
There was one man in particular whose personality stood out in stark
contrast to the mean spirited attitude of Sparkplug. His name was Frank
Lepper.
By the time I started with the Unit he had already done his fair share
of time on the street, over 35 years, and had opted to become Quartermaster,
a role that would keep him in the stable mending tack, attending to sick or
injured horses and making sure that the Unit was well supplied with all the
special, some times hard to find, equipment that we needed.
He seemed very old to me when I first met him but he couldn’t have
been too much more than fifty-five. Maybe it was the way he looked when I
first met him that had me pegging him as totally ancient.
He was sitting in one of the old captain’s chairs in the tack room with
a yellow felt numnah spread over his lap, using a sewing awl, stitching away
at a leather patch. His glasses were perched on the end of his nose and he
looked for all the world like the illustrations of Giappetto in the Pinocchio
books.
When he stood, rising to his full height to take my hand, he defied this
impression of frailness. His grip was not that of an old man. His hair was
grey white and his face had a few well-earned wrinkles but he appeared slim
and in good shape and had the bearing of a much younger man.
He was a crusty but likeable old bugger, a bit opinionated but his
opinions generally had a great deal of merit.
He was like an old mother hen with the new men and wouldn’t brook
any nonsense from them. When one of them would get too big for their
britches and start bragging about how well they could ride, Frank would
crack back at them, “You couldn’t ride a street car, --- with the doors
closed!”
He had a routine: every lunch hour he would finish up his dinner by
eating an orange. You could always tell exactly how many horses were in
the stable at the time by the number of pieces of orange peel that ended up in
his thermos cup. When he was through eating he would go to each of the
horses in their stalls and they would get their share of the peel from the flat
of his hand.
I really like him and looked upon him as a mentor. He was a wealth of
knowledge about the Mounted Unit and also his days on the R.C.M.P.
Sometimes when Sparkplug was up to one of his nasty tricks with the
horses, I would see Frank marching out of the stable shaking his head and
rolling his eyes but he would never take the man to task as he would have
had it been anyone else.
At first I couldn’t figure out why Frank, or for that matter, the Police
Force, would put up with a character like Sparkplug but as time went on it
became clear to me.
The man was a narcissistic sycophant of the first order. While it was
understood that the mounted policemen were to function, in most respects,
like other members of the force, making arrests, traffic control etc., there
was meant to be a strong emphasis on public relations. Everyone loved to
see the horses on the streets. While the rest of our Unit were doing their best
to maintain a good rapport with locals, Sparkplug was terrorizing the
neighbourhood by issuing literally hundreds of parking tickets every day.
The stats looked good on the division’s monthly reports and apparently were
the reason that those in charge overlooked his multitude of sins.
I couldn’t stand the man and quite often, at the end of a shift, when he
walked through the lunchroom with his bony fingers clutched around a
huge stack of yellow tickets, I would take him to task. I would say things
like, “I hope you’re proud of yourself!” or “How many people did you piss
off today?”
I think my remarks had caused him to dislike me because one
afternoon I was leaning back in a chair writing in my memo book and,
seeing him approaching with yet another huge pile of tickets, I delivered
another sarcastic salvo in his direction then resumed writing. When I looked
up to see if my remarks had had any effect on him, all I saw was a bundle of
knuckles flying in my direction. Before I knew what was happening, I was
on my back with Sparkplug hammering away at my head and shoulders.
I should mention that Sparkplug’s life of debauchery had left him
bereft of any muscle or conditioning that he once might have had so it didn’t
take too much effort on my part to turn the tables on him and return a little
bit of what he had been dishing out.
Our little disagreement was a signal for the rest of the cops present to
leave the room and wait in the stable until we settled our differences. That’s
why, after we had rolled around the floor and exchanged punches for some
considerable time, I was surprised to hear someone behind me cheering me
on and shouting, “Give it to the bastard!”
Holding onto Sparkplug’s skinny wrists, I glanced over my shoulder
and saw that my vocal fan was not one of the other policemen. In fact he was
an irate citizen who had come to the station to complain about being
repeatedly ticketed and harassed by Sparkplug. His presence had a sobering
effect on both my opponent and myself so we unravelled long enough to
direct him to the Complaints Department.
As the door closed behind him, I grabbed Sparkplug’s shirtfront and
pulling him toward me, shouted, “You’re under arrest for assault!” He
shoved me backwards and through clenched teeth growled, “Guess again,
you little prick, you’re under arrest!” This debate might have gone on for
some time but it ended when the cold contents of three buckets of cold water
came flying in our direction followed by the rest of the crew. They separated
us and explained how complicated it would be for us to arrest each other.
The water had cooled me down and I realized how ridiculous we both had
been acting, so I backed off and decided to let the matter drop.
Traditionally, what happens in the stable stays in the stable so I went
home for the weekend looking forward to letting bygones be bygones and
resuming a normal routine. I hadn’t considered the rodent like tendencies of
Sparkplug. He contacted the Inspector at his home and shovelled his slanted
version of what had happened into his willing ear. On Monday morning my
horse remained tied up and instead I was riding the carpet in front of the
Inspector’s desk defending myself. Fortunately I had recently received a
commendation for a bit of clever police work and bearing that in mind, he let
the matter drop.
I hurried back to the stable. I was as mad as hell. As I burst through
the door I bumped into old Frank. “Where’s Sparkplug?” I shouted. “I
suppose he’s up in the loft with the rest of the rats.” I tried to push by him
but he grabbed the doorjamb and his arm blocked my way. “Let it go, son,
you can’t win; I’ve seen lots of guys like Sparkplug over the years and
eventually they get their come comeuppance.” He was right, he always was,
so I let the matter drop and decided to watch and wait.
Several years later and after I had left the Force, a policemen from
Mounted Headquarters came to my door with the news that Sparkplug had
been struck by a vehicle and killed when he had staggered out of his car on
the busy 401. I ask when it had happened and the cop said he wasn’t sure
but that it must have a short time ago. He said he had been telephoned and
asked to tell me about the accident by an old mounted cop who was now
stationed at the Courts Bureau. “You might know him,” he said. “His name
is Frank Lepper.”


Frank Lepper

1 comment: