Thursday, November 17, 2011

Another Game of Zeaton Ball

One morning in 1967 I found myself in the company of eleven other
Mounted Policemen making our way through the backstreets of downtown
Toronto on our way to the American Embassy on University Avenue. We
were mounted on the quietest, most experienced horses that the force had to
offer. I had been assigned Buccaneer, the best of them all. Before we set
out that morning we were informed that we were going on a crowd control
mission at an anti-war demonstration in front of the Embassy. “We have to
be prepared for anything,“ the Sergeant said, reminding us of some the
problems our American counterparts were having at similar demonstrations
in New York and other major centres. We had seen the training films and
read the reports of police horses being attacked by radical demonstrators.
Some of them had used straight razors taped to the ends of hockey sticks to
slash the horses and their riders and there were instances where thousands of
ball bearings were hurled onto the pavement causing the horses to lose their
footing and crash to the ground. The injuries to animals and the men were
horrendous.
The thought of something similar happening here haunted me as we
rode along but I comforted myself with the thought that this was Canada;
people didn’t behave that way. At least I hoped they didn’t.
When we arrived at a little side street close to the Embassy we
dismounted and checked our equipment. We had a minimal amount of tack
on the horses, no fancy breastplates or lanyards, nothing for troublemakers
to get hold of should things get out of hand. We had just tightened the
horses’ girths and shortened their curb chains when the order came to mount
up.
Something was developing. Hordes of chanting, placard carrying
protesters were pouring down University Ave. filling the sidewalk and
spilling over onto the street in front of the Embassy. We rode up closer to
the scene and sat two abreast watching. The fifty or so policemen on foot
seemed to have things under control and were not meeting with much
resistance as they gently ushered people out of the roadway.
Buccaneer and I were situated closest to curb and he stood quietly as
protesters brushed by us on their way to join the protest. Over the chanting
and the shouts, I heard someone close by call my name. I looked down and
pressed in close to me, almost touching my riding boot was an old classmate
of mine, Richard Ilomacky. “Hey,” I said, “What’s happening, what are you
doing here?” Silly question since he was carrying a sign with some pretty
strong anti-war sentiments. It was too noisy for conversation so I gave him
the old ‘catch you later’ sign and he walked on, disappearing into the crowd.
I knew him fairly well. We both had attended a tough inner city high
school, Central Tech., and had taken P.T. classes together.
Our gym teacher was a tough ex policeman who had been selected by
the Board of Education more for his brawn than his brains. He thought that
most conventional sports were too tame so he invented his own game and
named it after himself.
The rules for Zeaton Ball were very simple: the class, after dividing
itself into two teams, faced each other from opposite ends of the gym. Mr.
Zeaton would then roll a basketball into centre court and at the sound of his
whistle, the teams would charge at each other. The object of the game was
to get the ball, by any means possible, down to your opponent’s end of the
gym and score a basket. No dribbling, penalty shots or off sides were
required and the more tripping, kicking, and punching that went on the better
he liked it. Quite often he would simply drift off and leave the class to its
own devices. His one and only rule was that when the game was over, it was
over and heaven help anyone who continued to fight or even appeared to be
holding a grudge afterwards. Ilomacky and I had locked horns in these
contests many times before the Principal caught wind of what was going on
and stopped them.
I was standing in my stirrups trying to see where my old friend had
gone when the whole gathering seemed to turn as one from facing the
Embassy and focus their attention on several buses with American license
plates that were pulling up on the opposite side of the street.
The American Legion was making an unexpected visit. Hundreds of
Legionnaires poured out of the buses and took up a position opposite the
anti-war group. There was a great deal of shouting and placard rattling back
and forth but things for a time looked like they might remain calm, cool and
Canadian. Then somebody threw something and shortly the air above the
street was full of missiles: hundreds of rocks, fruit and pop cans landing and
being returned. Then the two factions began to converge and we knew that
all hell was about to break out.
The newspapers the next day claimed that somebody had yelled
charge. I didn’t hear it but charge we did, attempting to put our horses
between the two groups. As we forced our way up the centre line of
University Ave., I encountered Ilomacky again. He had just smashed his
placard over the head of a Legionnaire and as I approached him, he thrust
the sharp broken end of the stick at me hitting me in the chest. I reached out
to grab him, almost losing my seat in the saddle but he slipped from my
grasp and got away. I wanted to chase him but I knew that the Sergeant had
other plans for me. By this time we had formed a solid line of nose to tail
horses between the worst combatants of the two groups. The Sergeant
shouted the command for a Side Passage and moving perfectly sideways,
crossing their legs as they went, the horses swept the angry crowd from
roadway and back to their own sides of the street.
Pockets of hand to hand fighting were still breaking out on both sides
of the street but about one hundred foot patrol policemen were now on the
scene and the paddy wagons had begun to arrive. Maloney’s wagon was
parked close to me and I was watching him as he loaded some of the more
violent protesters that had been arrested.
That’s when I saw a struggling Ilomacky being hustled by three
constables over to the back of the wagon. They passed him off to Maloney
who held him easily with one of his big hands. He was about to fling him
into the vehicle when I caught his eye. Not sure of why I was doing it, I
shook my head and indicated that I wanted him to let him go. With a ‘who
cares?’ look on his face, Maloney spun my friend around and planted a size
fourteen boot in his arse that sent him reeling into the crowd. Before he
totally disappeared Ilomacky looked back at me with a quizzical look on his
face. It was as if he was saying, ‘whose side are you on?’ To tell the truth I
wasn’t sure myself. If he could have heard me I would have said, “Just think
of it as another game of Zeaton Ball.”




No comments:

Post a Comment