Friday, November 4, 2011

Ron Does It Again

Sometime later my friend and now fellow constable, Ron Bond and I were in the
company of some other cops and I mentioned my meeting with Inspector Johnson. 
One of the guys immediately piped up with” Are you out of your mind? I hope
your not really considering joining the Mounted Unit. How could you even consider
joining those stinking buggers?  They all constantly smell of horseshit--- the rest
of us won’t sit anywhere near them in court. When they get on streetcars people get
off. Get with it man this is 1964. Were about to try a lunar landing and you’d be
spending all your time riding one of those foul smelling beasts around.” The guy
was pretty convincing and I found myself agreeing with him. Ron, strangely,
didn’t have anything to say on the matter so I assumed he felt the same way and
immediately dismissed any thoughts I might of had of transferring. Anyway I had
other fish to fry. 
Because I was always sketching and drawing cartoons and they often
got copied and passed around I had an offer to become apprenticed to Det.
Sgt. Magurie who did all the composite drawings for the department.
I had been given lots of time to think the offer over and after six
weeks of pondering, I had just about made up my mind to add an artist’s
beret to my uniform. That’s when I received an order to report to Mounted
Headquarters once again.
I showed up out of uniform and looking weekend shabby in a T-shirt
and jeans. I wasn’t trying to impress anyone. In fact I was hoping for the
opposite effect.
I was shown into the Inspector’s office by the desk sergeant and Big
Ed immediately got to his feet and grabbed my hand. “Welcome aboard,
Leeson, I’m glad you decided to join up.” I was flabbergasted and almost
floored so I shot back at him in language I knew he would understand,
“Whoa! Steady! Easy! I haven’t said that I was joining up.” “What do you
mean?” the Inspector said, “Your buddy said you were ready to start right
away.” “Buddy, what buddy?” I said. “Constable Ronald Bond” he replied.
“He’s been training with the riding school for the last three weeks. There’s
only one week left to go and we had one man flunk out. He said you didn’t
really need any training and could jump right in and replace him. Is there a
problem?” I was speechless but I knew when I was licked, “What the hell,”
I thought and then turned to the Inspector and said, “Where are my spurs?”

Ron and Me, 1967
Ron

4 comments:

  1. majury was the Police Artist. Seems I couldn't shake you following me around through life. Well, after all I taught you to ride at Whitewoods stables. What was that mares name again Lillian, Linda or was it Donna. Gosh there sure were a lot of mares we rode back then Garry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better get Zoe back on the editing, spelling and grammar. This one is a bit messy. "I hope
    your not really" - your instead of You're, "I might of had of transferring", have had, not "of had". When you read it back place a comma where a natural pause happens.
    I never realized my actions or lack thereof, influenced your actions in life so dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flashback to June 1970 – old CNE stadium.
    Orgy of drugs and sex - a.k.a. Janis Joplin concert.
    Rookie PC assigned to guard wire fence on south side for “crashers”.
    Here they come in the hundreds, screeching death to all in their way.
    Rookie PC pulls billie out of pocket, says prayers.
    Wait! Sound of horses hooves on pavement!
    Soon mixed with loud snapping noises accompanied by screams and moans!
    Rookie PC replaces unused billie in pocket.
    Prayers answered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Dad says he wasn't there in 1970, and quite frankly he's not sure what side of the fence he would have been on, but he's intrigued! Tell us more about yourself, please.
    Best! -Zoe (Garry's daughter)

    ReplyDelete