Monday, January 9, 2012

Windy Hill

Policemen were not allowed to live outside the limits of Metropolitan
Toronto. Before the amalgamation, they were restricted to the limits of the
old city of Toronto proper. I suppose in the old days this policy had some
merit since few people had cars and transportation in general was quite slow
so the city wanted their policemen close at hand and ready to respond in
emergencies. This arrangement also made it convenient for the Department
to control malingering because anytime a cop phoned in sick he would get a
mandatory visit from the patrol sergeant and the patient had better be in bed
with a temperature and no booze on his breath when he got there or he was
in deep shit. We were allowed sick days but other than when I was badly
injured or actually in the hospital. I don’t remember daring to call in sick.
I longed to live in the country. My parents had a farm near Meaford,
Ontario and I spent all my spare time up there. I had several horses and some
purebred Angus cattle that I kept there but it was too far away for a commute
and even if I could have, the Department would never have allowed it. I was
always on the lookout for a rental farm closer to the city and recent events
gave my search certain urgency. I knew it was probably wishful thinking but
it was fun cruising the countryside with the hope of finding that special
place.
Here’s what happened: for some reason that I never fully understood,
a representative from Ayrst Laboratories of Montreal contacted me and
asked if I would meet with him. Of course I was curious and agreed to see
him even though I didn’t have the slightest notion what he wanted. As it
turned out he wanted to offer me quite a good job; they were the people that
produced the newly arrived birth control pill and they wanted me to head up
a team of special inspectors.
In those days all of the estrogen used in the production of the pill
came naturally from the urine of pregnant mares; special stables were
springing up all over the country to meet the demand and the company was
under pressure from The Humane Society and other groups to ensure that
proper practices were observed. I was having too much fun doing what I was
doing, so I immediately declined his offer but said I would ask around and
see if anybody else I knew would be interested. As it turned out when I
mentioned it at the stables the following week it seemed like half the guys
on the Unit expressed interest. Sgt. Quinn, the riding instructor, was most
eager and in a matter of days was flown up to Montreal and given the job.
Later it looked like I had connived the whole thing because I ended up
getting his job teaching new recruits; however, it was pure coincidence. He
later recruited two more people from the Unit. The Inspector was sad to see
them go but in true form wished them all the best. I kept my head down for a
while.
I wasn’t interested in the job with Ayrst but after I researched the
methods used to collect the urine I was sure I could improve on the methods
and was anxious to give it a try with my own place and band of mares.
Besides, there was big money in the business. I knew I would be a shoe-in
because Sgt. Quinn was now in charge of issuing the contracts. If I was
careful, really careful, no one would find out and I would be able to keep my
job.
One day I strayed to the area around Chalk Lake north of Oshawa,
about an hour’s drive, and happened on a small neat farmstead perched on
the top of a hill that thrust itself out of a large cedar grove. I followed the
lane up through the trees to the buildings and from there I could see acres of
well groomed fields, fenced with split rails stretching off into the distance. A
herd of Shorthorn cattle currently occupied the pasture but I mentally
replaced them with horses and sure liked what I saw.
I don’t know what had given me the audacity to barge, uninvited, onto
this hilltop homestead. There were no For Sale or For Rent signs. I had
arrived where I stood purely on the wings of impulse. No one appeared to
be home but I thought I had better check for sure so I went to the house
ready to apologize for my intrusion. There was no answer to my knock so I
ventured a peek through the window. The house was empty and appeared to
have been that way for some time. There were no electric lines leading up to
the house and as I circled the place peering through the windows, I could tell
from the way the place was setup that there never had been any wiring in the
house. No one was around so I decided to check out the barn as well. It had
been left clean and tidy and the cement and steel stanchions suggested that it
had once housed a large herd of milk cows. It would take quite a bit of work
but they could be converted into horse stalls. I walked through the pasture all
the way to the next concession line to where I knew the property must end
and estimated it to be about one hundred acres-- perfect!
It was fun to pretend that places such as this were yours and I had
dreamed these dreams before but something about this spot compelled me to
find out more so I decided to drop in on the next-door neighbor and have a
chat. An aging widow and her two rather strange bachelor sons occupied the
next farm. Buster, the weirder of the two, was a wealth of information. He
told me that the old farm I had been investigating had been sold recently to a
young couple that lived in a village nearby. They had no immediate plans for
the place and might consider renting it out. He and his brother were already
renting a couple of the fields to grow grain.
On the way home I found the owners and started discussions that
eventually saw me signing a three-year lease.
Things were becoming very complicated for me. On the one hand I
needed the place to accommodate my project but on the other, I would be
jeopardizing a job that I had come to love. I needed a plan.
I couldn’t afford to keep my apartment in the city and pay rent on the
farm but I still needed an address that appeared to be legitimate within the
confines of the city. I had previously rented a small room on the second floor
of my friend Ron Bond’s house down by The Beaches area of the city and he
was more than willing to start collecting it again; it was a good deal since I
actually wouldn’t be there. Ron was a fellow policeman and I knew I could
trust him to keep our little secret.
I moved to the farm, brought my Angus cattle down from my parents
farm, purchased an Arabian stallion and started buying brood mares;
everything was going as planned and best of all it was all happening under
Big Ed’s nose.
I sure had the big guy fooled, at least that is what I thought until one
day he called me into his office and made a request. “I’ve got two lame
horses and Monty is acting up again. I think a few weeks on pasture would
do them all good,” he said looking me in the eye, then pausing waiting for
me to reply. “Yes, no doubt it would, Sir.” I was well aware of the horses’
conditions “You wouldn’t know a place in the country, not too far away
where I could pasture them, would you?” I could tell by the look on his face
that the jig was up; he was just toying with me. All the work I had put into
the farm’s house and barn and all the money I had spent buying horses was
about to go up in smoke.
He broke into a smile and said, “Relax I knew about your farm before
you moved in; I don’t blame you for wanting to live there; as far as I’m
concerned your address in the city covers you. I don’t know what
Headquarters will think about it but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to
it. In the meantime I’m serious about needing pasture for those horses so
what are you going to charge me?”
“Let’s consider it a professional courtesy,” I replied. Over the next
year or so the Police horse trailer spent as much time parked at ‘Windy Hill’,
the name I had given my place, as it did down in the city.
One day, when I went to check on some police horses in the Horse
Palace I found a strange horse standing in one of the stalls. It was a little bay
Quarter Horse about half the size of the other horses. The gelding stood with
its head down looking tired and dejected, switching his weight from one
lame front foot to the other.
I had noticed the Inspector’s car parked outside and now, as my eyes
adjusted to the dim light of the stable, I saw him down the aisle in
conversation with three large policemen in traditional turn of the century
uniforms, complete with bobby helmets. They seemed to be looking at
something around the corner and when I went over to join them I was
surprised to see the object of their attention, an authentic antique horsedrawn
Paddy Wagon, complete in every detail and fully restored.
The men could see that I was curious and weren’t long filling me in
with what was going on. The Hamilton Police Department, as part of a
Centennial project, had refurbished the old wagon and the men present were
part of a team that had been chosen to drive it all the way to Montreal for the
opening of Expo 67. As it turned out the idea was a sound one but the horse
was not. It was neither big enough nor strong enough to pull a wagon of that
size and they had been damned lucky to get the fifty miles from Hamilton to
Toronto, let alone the three hundred and fifty still to go before they reached
their destination.
When I interrupted them, they were busy trying to borrow one of the
Toronto police horses for the job and Ed was trying to explain to them that
our horses were not broken to harness and even if they were, Expo would
probably be over by the time he swam through the red tape it would take to
get permission.
I felt sorry for the guys from Hamilton and wanted to help. I could
see that they were really disappointed and embarrassed that their project was
about to come to such an abrupt end
As it happened I had purchased a couple of really big Percheron
mares for my P.M.U. project. One of them, a big docile bay, was quiet
enough that even these rank amateurs would be able to handle her so I
offered to let them use her. She was in foal but I was sure that a little road
trip wouldn’t hurt her. I heard from the men later that she performed
wonderfully and after the first few miles they just let her have her head and
she strode along the shoulder of the highway undeterred by the speeding
trucks and cars, getting them to Montreal in plenty of time.
After she was returned home in style in a fancy racehorse van, the
Inspector found a small old Toronto Police Wagon and Ron Bond and I
drove her in several parades during the Centennial celebrations.
1967 was a hell of a year for me as I divided my time between the
excitement of police work, parades and musical rides and the busy weekends
breeding mares, preparing for my new business and enjoying my new
country lifestyle. Then everything started to go wrong. A scientist
somewhere discovered how to synthesize estrogen and mare’s urine was no
longer required. I practically begged my former sergeant, Bob Quinn, to get
Ayrst to honour the contract we had signed but he drew my attention to the
fine print and I knew I was screwed. I couldn’t get mad at him because I
knew that his job was also in jeopardy. He said that the company had offered
him an office job but I knew that the old cowboy from Little Buckhorn
wouldn’t be long riding a desk.
So there I was stuck with thirty or so horses, most in foal, and no way
to make any economic sense out of them. A dark cloud was hanging over
Windy Hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment