Monday, January 9, 2012

Central Don Stables

Just when you think that things can’t get any worse, they usually do.
That’s what I was thinking when I was summoned into Inspector Johnson’s
office on a Friday afternoon. “I’ve had a call from Headquarters concerning
you, he said. “Great”, I thought, “Just what I need. They’ve found out
about the farm and I’m in deep shit!” But, apparently, that was not what this
was all about because the Inspector just passed a file folder across his desk
to me saying, “What’s this all about?”
The brown manila file folder was stamped with the familiar logo of
the Toronto Parks Department. I had no idea what it might contain.
When I opened it I felt like I had bumped into an old friend.
Inside was a proposal that I had drafted and submitted to the Parks
Department when I was seventeen years old. I had forgotten all about it and
now as I flicked through the typed pages and illustrations I had done, I
wondered why it had surfaced after all these years. The reply I had received
at the time was curt and condescending and I was surprised that they kept
the idea on their records.
When I was a teenager attending high school, I had a small stable
on Bayview Ave. on a ridge above the Don River Valley. I made a little
extra money giving riding lessons and taking people on trail rides, south
along the river through the old Sunnybrook Farm. At the time the Parks
Department did not have responsibility for the area but it was rumoured that
they might in the future. I was fascinated with the beautiful structures that
stood unused. It was like a ghost village hidden in the heart of the city. The
barns in particular took my eye and I reasoned that if, in fact, the area were
to become a public park it would be a wonderful opportunity to establish a
riding school and designate bridle paths.
As I read more carefully through the pages of recommendations that
I had made almost seven years earlier I wondered at how naive and full of
lofty ideals I must have been to even think that a kid from Cabbage Town
would be listened to.
Under the photocopies of my old submission I found a copy of a
tender application for obtaining a concession to operate a riding school at the
old Sunny Brook farm. It was to be the focal point of the newly established
Central Don Park System. The descriptions of how it was to operate and
what needed to be done to the existing buildings had been taken verbatim
from my original submission.
The previous day Inspector Johnson had been called to a meeting with
Tommy Thompson who was the current flamboyant Parks Commissioner, to
discuss the possibility of the Mounted Unit moving their Headquarters to the
newly established park, an idea Big Ed was instantly in favour of, when the
issue of a public riding school sharing the accommodation came up. He was
asked his opinion and then passed the file and while reading through it, he
happened to see my submission. He immediately recognized my name and
explained to the Commissioner that I was currently serving in his Unit. This
came as surprise to the clerk in charge of the tender process. Apparently they
had been trying to locate me to invite me to tender but so much time had
passed and I had changed address so often that they were unable to locate
me.
I think the Inspector and the people from the Parks Department
realized that with one of their own, as it were, in charge of the public riding
school the relationship between it and the Police Department was bound to
be better than if some unknown, unpredictable stranger were to move in next
door.
Apparently it was Inspector Johnson’s assignment to talk me into
submitting a tender and quite frankly, he was doing a hell of a job. He
assured me that I had nothing to lose and everything to gain: if things didn’t
work out I could always have my job on the Mounted Unit back.
I mulled it over, but not for long. I submitted my tender like everyone
else, offering twelve hundred dollars a month for the facilities, a huge sum
for me in those days. In retrospect, I could have offered a lot less because
other considerations were in play and the process was less a competition and
more in the order of an appointment. In any event, my tender was accepted
and a new chapter in my life began.
I had just been given a wonderful opportunity to do something that
had been on my mind for years. I wanted to establish a riding school that
would be affordable and available to anybody who wanted to use it. I had
grown up for the most part an inner city kid. I loved horses but had very
little opportunity to spend much time with them. I knew every delivery horse
in the city but my riding experience, when I was very young, was limited to
a few hours a month.
I would ride the old Young St. trolley to the city limits at Hog’s
Hollow and then hike the rest of the way to Vern Mason’s riding school--it
used to be situated further up in the Don Valley. There, if I spent the
morning mucking out stalls for him, I was allowed to go out on a one-hour
trail ride. Later as he realized that I had a certain natural ability, he would
occasionally use me to lead these rides.
There were kids like me all over the city and there still were now. I
had seen their interest as I rode the police horses around the city. I knew that
there were thousands of people young and old who would love the
opportunity to be near horses and learn about them.
In my early teens I had eventually made my way out of the city and
had the opportunity to improve my skills spending long hours in the saddle,
breaking and training young horses. Eventually I felt that there was very
little that I couldn’t do with a horse. However, I got my training at The
School of Hard Knocks, the only academy I could afford, and it irked me to
think that learning to ride was still only available to the privileged few who
could afford to pay for the fancy gear and the expensive lessons.
I had a wonderful new stable of my own design now and I also had a
mission.
My sisters, Noreen and Jan, have recently sent me copies of the
original brochures I had printed. I didn’t know any still existed, and they tell
the story of what I intended to do and for the most part what actually
happened.
The school was an instant success and within a few short weeks
hundreds of students were enrolled and I was kept busy finding suitable
horses and qualified riding instructors.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I read this Garry.I was telling Donna yesterday, that I was confused about the sequence of events leading up to you taking over the stable. I couldn't remember if you were still on the police force then or not.I certainly remember Windy Hill, and all the work you had to do to that place.Remember the cool kitchen table you made that had a real tree going up from the floor to ceiling for a support? Talk about going green- you didn't need a cupbroad for the mugs-you just hung them on the branches! Keep on writing Garry- it brings back so many memories and lots of laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is a neat blog to find! "Inspector Johnson" is my Uncle! I spent many summer days at his home across from the Stables in Sunnybrook Park. Neat to see someone writing about this!

    ReplyDelete