Monday, December 5, 2011

Yorkville

If you trotted your horse southeast down Davenport Rd. from the old
stable on New St. it took you only five minutes to reach Yorkville Ave.
In the early 1960’s the street and its environs had slowly become a
haven for a few art galleries and jazz clubs but as time passed, the number of
these places increased and were joined by folk music venues, gift shops and
coffee houses. All the residences on Yorkville were converted into
storefronts and the whole street was transformed into a bohemian village at
the very centre of the very conservative city of Toronto.
Every summer night and most days, the street was filled with huge
crowds milling about going in and out of the clubs and shops and having a
good look at the regulars who had become known as hippies.
These were kids who had truly bought into the scene, wandering the
streets decked out in their colourful smocks, fringed leather vests, beads and
headbands, and trying desperately to look cool. The amount of long hair and
beards being sported prompted one the guys on the unit to speculate that the
only thing the street didn’t have was a good barbershop.
There was always a cacophony of sound as the crowd noise competed
with the cries of the street hawkers and blare of the loudspeakers posted
outside each of the clubs. The sugary tones of Gordon Lightfoot down at the
Riverboat competed with the throbbing backbeat of the music accompanying
the Go-Go girls dancing in the second floor window of the Myna Bird.
It was like a circus and hanging over it all, was a sweet cloud of
marijuana smoke. I think it was this, the blatant use of illegal drugs that
caused the Police Force to focus its attention on the area and launch a couple
of raids on the street under the guise of opening it up to allow motor vehicles
through. There were plenty of alternate routes in the area and lots of parking.
Nobody really needed to drive through the street.
Prior to these raids the men of the Mounted Unit had a very good
rapport with the people of the street. Now relations were strained and for the
first time I heard the word ‘Pig’ whispered as I rode through. If I had the
choice I would always ride a mare when I patrolled Yorkville. That way
when some smart-ass said, “Look at the big prick on that horse” he would
have some explaining to do.
Quite frankly I didn’t give a damn what the so-called hippies did as
long as they didn’t hurt themselves or anybody else. Of course, occasionally,
someone would have a bad acid trip or an overdose or assault someone who
didn’t agree with them concerning one of the hot political issues of the day,
like keeping troops in Vietnam or Abortion on Demand but in general,
things were strained but manageable.
I knew and was friends with many people who worked and hung out
around Yorkville and although I didn’t mention it around the station, I spent
quite a bit of my off-duty time around the street myself. I loved folk music,
and after a few beers around the corner at Place Pigalle, to gain some
courage, I would hit one of the coffee houses and join in the hootenannies;
neither was I immune to the siren call of the Go-Go girls.
For the most part I liked the people. Of course there were a few that I
disliked but only one that I detested. His name was Eset Greiber
The street had become a magnet for runaway kids from all over the
country, many of them slipping into town to see the Beatles and then
staying. The young girls were most at risk: some of them survived by couch
hopping and working part-time at the coffee houses and clubs. Still others
ended up as sex slaves for petty dope dealers.
Greiber preyed on these girls. Knowing that they had little choice, he
would offer them food, a flop, and a very small amount of money in
exchange for selling flowers for him.
I would see these sad, stoned little Lisa Doolittles plying their trade
around the area at all hours of the night.
He was a weird looking fellow, dark and thickset with a heavy accent.
He was a recent immigrant from Eastern Europe and dressed, formally in a
jacket and tie with a Homburg on his head. The only good impression his
clothes might have made was negated when you noticed that his trousers
were too short and that he wore no socks or shoes, ever!
He might have looked comical but he had the personality of a viper,
evil personified, a man who thwarted the law, took illicit advantage of his
new country and used every opportunity he could to discredit the Police
Department.
Once when I returned to the station and checked through the
photographs in my lost kid file I recognized a picture as being one of the
flower girls I’d seen on the street earlier that evening. I jumped in my car
and headed back to where I had seen her but she was gone.
When I found and confronted her sleazy boss with the photograph. He
denied ever having seen her and then took my badge number and
complained to Headquarters that I was harassing him. I had quite a bit of
explaining to do: policemen, unlike the general public, are considered guilty
until proven innocent.
When I learned that I was being transferred to the Exhibition grounds
to act as horse trainer and riding instructor I knew that I was going to miss
the excitement of Yorkville but I sure wasn’t going miss Greiber.
I had one last evening shift to spend on the street and I spent most of it
enjoying the sights and saying goodbye to some of the regulars.
It was almost time to head back to the stables and I was making some
final entries in my memo book when I noticed a crowd gathering at the
intersection where Hazelton Ave. meets Yorkville. I couldn’t see what was
going on from where I was situated so I put my book away and gave old
Major a dig in the ribs and pointed him towards the commotion. I leaned
forward in anticipation of the surge of power that was to follow, I had
forgotten which horse I was on, and there was no hurrying old Major. He
just took his time ambling over to the scene with me kicking away at his
sides and clucking encouragement.
We arrived at the corner to find a denser pocket of the already
crowded street gathered around a yellow cab parked by the curb with its rear
passenger door swung open over the sidewalk. An older man was
confronting one of the flower girls. He had hold of her basket of roses and
they were engaged in a gentle tug of war.
A woman, who looked to be the same age as the man, stood between
him and the girl with her arms stretched out and her hands resting on each of
their shoulders. She seemed to be pleading with them as she turned to face
first one and then the other.
I climbed down off of Major and he stood quietly while I made my
way over to the kafuffle to see what was going on. The woman explained
through her tears that the flower girl, one I had never seen before, was their
daughter; she had disappeared from their farm near Orangeville, north of
Toronto, several months earlier and they had just found her but she wouldn’t
listen to reason and come home with them.
“How old is she I asked? “ “She’s only fourteen” the woman wailed.
I have a sister, Brenda, who was about the same age as this girl at the
time and living with my parents on a farm north of the city. I pictured my
parents trying to deal with a situation like this and it didn’t take me long to
make up my mind whose side I was on.
I took the basket from between the father and daughter and keeping
the girl in view out of the corner of my eye, I turned to her father and said, “I
know how these kids think. Why don’t you and your wife wait in the cab
while I see if I can convince her.
Obviously stoned, the girl was by now looking frantically around for
an escape route so I grabbed her firmly by the shoulder with my free hand,
leaned in close and whispered in her ear. “Listen you little bitch, you get in
that cab before I kick your ass. Don’t say a word or I’ll have you down to
the station so fast it will make your head spin.”
With that I shoved her into the back of the cab and into her parents’
arms. I slammed the door shut and the cab sped away.
I was feeling pretty smug and self satisfied as I turned to see how my
horse was making out in my absence. That’s when I realized that I still had
the basket of roses in my hand. Major noticed them immediately and was
chewing away on one of the blossoms before I could swing the basket out of
his reach.
“Stop that!” I said, while I held the basket even further away as he
edged forward looking for seconds.
What to do? What to do? It was getting late-- I had to get going but I
couldn’t just dump the basket. I had just explained my way out of my last
scrape with the basket’s owner and I didn’t want to start a new one.
There was nothing for it. I got one of the women who had been
patting Major to hold the basket of flowers while I mounted up. She handed
me the basket and I ran my left arm through the arch of the handle and then
grabbed my reins in the same hand. As I settled myself into the saddle and
adjusted the basket into a comfortable position I set off through the crowd
trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. Who was I kidding? We hadn’t
gone ten feet before the boos, hoots and jeers started. Someone yelled out
the inevitable, “Look at the big prick on that horse!” and that is when I lost
it. I could hear the strains of a song drifting down from a second story
window: “Now if you’re going to San Francisco-------” I think that’s what inspired
me. I took a rose from the basket and shoved the stem under my hatband so
that the flower looked to be resting on my ear. Then while moving forward I
started tossing flowers left and right into the crowd. The effect was
immediate, the hoots and jeers turned to clapping and cheers and everyone
seemed to be smiling and laughing. When I reached Avenue Road Greiber
was standing bare foot on the corner glaring up at me. I took the basket into
my free hand and tossed it down to him and then, giving him the finger, I
rode off into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment