Monday, December 5, 2011

Getting Started

After a quick week of training at the Horse Palace, with Sgt. Quinn as
instructor, I was posted to Mounted Headquarters. It took awhile to fit in and
get used to the guys and the horses I was working with but over time things
began to fall in place and I settled down to a routine. Because I was the new
kid on the block, I wasn’t assigned to any particular mount. Instead I was
used as a relief rider taking out any horse that needed exercise.
The Inspector’s office, at the rear of the old station, was situated such
that he could watch out his window and observe each constable as they left
the stable and rode their horses down the street on the way to their beats. I
was always conscious of his gaze as I passed under his window. Some of the
younger horses could be pretty frisky and when they first hit the street, it
took a bit of clever handling. I always acted instinctively and wasn’t shy
about administering a little tough love when I felt that they needed it and
was never quite sure if he approved of my techniques.
As it turned out there was one area where I was sure that we shared
some common ground. Somehow I had gotten my hands on a copy of the
British Cavalry Manual and found it full of fascinating information, much of
it applicable to the kind of work we were doing. I showed it to the Inspector
one lunch hour and as he thumbed through it, I could tell he was going over
old territory. Occasionally, when I didn’t understand certain pertinent and
useful sections of the book like those concerning lance or saber drill, I would
ask him to clarify things for me. You see, he was the ‘real deal’-- he had
served in the Royal Canadian Dragoons, a traditional cavalry unit until they
gave up their horses in 1940. He was a wealth of information and over the
ensuing weeks it became a bit of a game with me trying to stump him and
him quizzing me on what I was learning.
One day as I rode by his open office window he hailed me, “Put up
your horse and come in here. I want to talk to you.” As I turned the horse
around and headed for the stable, I mentally went over all the various
shenanigans I had been up to lately. As amicable as our relationship had
been recently, I still remembered several occasions when I stood in front of
his desk with hat in hand lying my way out of a tricky situation. I stamped
my feet to dislodge any hidden manure from the bottom of my boots as I left
the stable and made my way up to his office and stopped at what was now
becoming a familiar spot on his carpet.
When he pointed to a chair opposite him and said, “Sit down,” I began
to relax. Maybe this wouldn’t be too bad.
“It’s like this,” he said, “we’re getting more new unbroken horses than
we can keep up with down at the Exhibition grounds and I’d like you to
assist with the training.” I was about to object but he raised his hand to stop
me and continued, “I’ve seen you handling the horses and I know you can do
it.” Then he went on to say, “We’re also getting eight new men starting on
Monday, and I can’t afford to take a patrol officer off the street to train them
so I want you to act as Riding Instructor for a while as well.” I didn’t know
what to say. The old guy didn’t appear to be joking. My mind started to go a
mile a minute. Hell, I was only twenty-one and had only been on the
Mounted Unit for a few short months. Most of the men I would be training
would be much older than me. How would the more senior guys who had
been passed over for this prestigious job react when they heard the news?
As it turned out I didn’t have a chance to voice any of these concerns
because before I could speak the Inspector said, “Take the rest of the day off
and pack up your gear. I want your ass down at the Horse Palace first thing
Monday morning.” That’s when I realized that I hadn’t been getting an offer.
I had been receiving an order so I simply rose, touched the brim of my hat
and said, “Yes, Sir!” Apparently God had granted me the serenity to accept
the things I could not change, besides, I was really flattered.
I spent the weekend mulling over how I was going to handle the
situation, referring to my dog-eared cavalry manual, making some
preliminary lesson plans and detailed drawings of the Universal Saddle and
the special bridle we used plus illustrated instructions for lance drill. This
sort of training would be a first for the Unit and I wasn’t sure how the new
men and for that matter, the old hands observing it would react. Anyway I
knew I had the Inspector behind me and as far as I was concerned, it was all
or nothing. As it turned out the students were more than receptive to intense
training they received and most of the regular officers seemed to approve.
The one exception was a cranky old sergeant who seemed determined to
discredit my training methods and me. However he was hamstrung by the
Inspector’s enthusiasm and all he could do was watch and shake his head.
The Inspector always seemed particularly pleased as he watched me
drill the new recruits and teach them the traditional cavalry maneuvers I had
been studying. In fact, his enthusiasm was such that I began to wonder about
his sanity-- was he using me as a tool to relive his glory days in the cavalry?
I began to be really concerned when one day, near the end of the training
session, a truckload of authentic bamboo cavalry lances arrived at the riding
school.
Now the Police Department had a full time M.D. but as far as I knew
we did not have a resident psychiatrist so I decided to have a one on one chat
with Big Ed myself and see just how far his dementia had progressed. We
met at his office and not wanting to upset him further, I eased into the matter
of the lances. I tried to soothe him with a little sympathetic small talk but he
became impatient with me and cut me short. Looking at me with a peculiar,
quizzical look on his face that I interpreted as another sure sign of his
affliction, he shouted, “What the hell do you want?” I decided on the direct
approach, “So, what’s with the lances?” He just stared at me for the longest
time without speaking and while he did, my mind raced with visions of
Mounted Policemen running amuck in the streets of Toronto skewering
felons. Leaning forward and in a low voice, he confided in me. “This is
strictly confidential and you have to keep what I’m about to tell you to
yourself.” I nodded agreement and he continued, “As you know, we are
coming up to Canada’s Centennial year and the Department has approved a
promotion that I have suggested. We are going to train and feature a musical
ride.” “Just as I suspected, Sir,” I said as I rose and took my leave.
I spent several evenings, after hours and alone, in the riding ring
practicing all the tricky requirements of the British Cavalry’s lance drill. Just
getting on and off a horse with an eight-foot spear in your hand is no easy
feat, never mind all the other maneuvers required. Luckily, I had the help of
Roy, a quiet old gelding that stood quietly and put up with the odd poke and
a lot of fumbling on my part. Nobody was happier than Roy when I finally
began to get the hang of it.
I was by no means an expert when I first began teaching the drills to
my class but after a while we were all prancing around the ring like real
Bengal Lancers. We all became fairly proficient with our newly acquired
weapons. We held them high and perpendicular in the ‘Carry’ mode or
charged from one end of the arena to other with our lances ‘Engaged’ and
thrust forward. Fortunately no one was impaled during these sessions.
Somehow the members of the class found out that they might be
touring with a musical ride. I can’t imagine who might have leaked that
information, but they became very excited with the possibility. I told them
that if they wanted to have a place on the ‘ride’ they would have to
dramatically improve their riding skills in the short time we had left and that
I was more than willing to help but it might not be the ‘ride in the park’ they
had been experiencing. I told them that if they were willing I would go
strictly by the cavalry manual that used the make or break techniques that in
the past turned out or destroyed troopers in a very short time. I explained
that although I didn’t outrank any of them, they would have to treat me as if
I was an officer, and obey my orders to the letter, if this scheme was going
to work. “Are you willing to do this?” I ask. They looked at one another then
clicked their heels and saluted.
I had heard that power could corrupt and turn almost anyone into a
tyrant but I always thought that I would be immune to that sort of thing.
That’s why I was surprised when I found myself enjoying my new role as a
ruthless drill instructor. I worked the class so hard and often at the sitting
and rising trot that when they broke for lunch their asses were so sore that
they had to eat standing up. When one of them would fall off his horse
while cantering around the ring, I would shout, almost scream, “Who told
you to dismount?” I wasn’t satisfied unless they all went home with the
insides of their knees bleeding. I began to think that I might be acting a little
over the top when the boys began to draw it subtly to my attention by doing
things like lining up in front of me and thrusting their lances in the air in
unison and shouting “ Zieg Heil! Zeig Heil! or constantly addressing me as
‘Captain Hindgrinder’. However, it was when I started getting calls from
their wives saying that I was destroying their sex lives that I started
reassessing the situation. After all, as my father used to say, “There’s a
difference between scratching your ass and tearing it all to hell.” Anyway, I
lightened up and when the class finished we parted friends and all met again
when we participated in the Musical Ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment