Monday, October 24, 2011

Small Fry

Being one of the smallest guys on the job I was like a magnet for every
thug that wanted to have a go at assaulting a policeman. In the past I had
always adhered to the policy that “It’s a poor set of feet the lets your nose
get in trouble” but I couldn’t run away anymore. I relied heavily on my gift
of the gab but when that failed I would have to mix it up as best I could.
These encounters left me stiff and bruised and cost the city a lot of money
replacing torn uniforms. Whenever Maloney arrived to find me struggling
away with some big guy he would give me a wink and then fire my assailant
into the back of the wagon saying “Why don’t you pick on somebody your
own size?’
I was alone late one night, walking the beat on King St. in the heart of
the city. It was a drizzly fall night and I had stopped in the shelter of a
doorway to update my memo book.
It was well past bar closing time and the city was shutting down. An
empty streetcar pulled up and opened its doors at a stop directly in front of
me. I stepped forward and exchanged a few words with a tired looking
conductor who was heading to the barn at the end of his shift, then backed
into the doorway to finish my writing. I stayed put a while longer trying to
shake off the sleepiness that was taking hold of me. Then I decided to move
on. As I stepped out of the doorway and looked to my right I noticed a
strange form in the distance moving toward me. I moved back into the
doorway and removed my hat so I could peer around and get a better look.
At first he appeared to be a large man in the distance but when I looked
more again more closely I realized that he was a very small man. In fact he
was a dwarf and as I watched him tack his way up the sidewalk I realized
that he was also very drunk.
I reclaimed my spot in the shadowy doorway and waited for him to
pass but instead of moving on by, he stopped directly in front of me and
started digging in his pockets for streetcar tokens. He was very unsteady on
his feet and only managed to stay upright by wrapping his stubby arms
around a convenient lamppost.
I was just about to go and help him when another streetcar pulled up
and the doors whooshed open.
The little fellow left the security of his post, staggered to the trolley
and tried to climb aboard. The step up to the car was about waist high on
him and he made several abortive attempts to mount them, the last time
taking a run at them and landing on his back.
I rushed over to him, helped him into a sitting position and asked him
if he was hurt. He just giggled and mumbled something incomprehensible. It
was obvious that he was feeling no pain. When I asked the conductor if he
would help me get him aboard he made it perfectly clear to me that he was
not going to be responsible for looking after the little guy. I told him that if
he didn’t I would have to call for the wagon but he didn’t seem to care.
Actually I knew it might not be that serious because Maloney was driving
that night.
After picking him up and dusting him off, I carried the little guy into
my doorway and propped him against the wall and then walked the short
distance to the call box and requested some transportation.
I knew the wagon was close by so I went back and hustled my
prisoner over to the curb so that we would be easy to spot. That’s when
inspiration struck!
When Maloney arrived I was standing, all puffed up and proud with
my nightstick in one hand and the dwarf handcuffed to my opposite wrist.
He stuck his head out of the wagon window and said, “I tink ya better
tro dat won back!”

No comments:

Post a Comment